bbobb's place

A snapshot of whatever random silliness or naughtiness is going through my head at the time I post. Be warned it can be a scary place inside my mind at times.

My Photo
Name:
Location: midwest, United States

18 October 2006

Fortune Cookie Rant

Okay, what's the deal with fortune cookies? When did they stop being fortune cookies and become trite platitude cookies?

I see the following relevant definitions of the word fortune at Dictionary.com:
5. fortunes. things that happen or are to happen to a person in his or her life.
6. fate; lot; destiny: whatever my fortune may be.
-Idiom

12. tell someone's fortune, to profess to inform someone of future events in his or her own life; foretell.

It's about the future and what's going to happen to somebody in the future. It's not about giving silly advice. Here's the one I got today - "At the end of each day, think 'What has this day brought me, and what have I given it?'"

Huh?!?

Where's the fortune?

What ever happened to things like, "You will live a long life and accumulate vast wealth" or "You will meet a stranger who will change your life" or perhaps "You will die with a very big grin and very sore genitalia"?

I think the fortune cookie writers need to get off their high horses and start delivering fortunes again. If I want advice I'll go to Dear Abbey.

Hope everybody is getting as lucky as they want to be,
bbobb

2 Comments:

Blogger olr said...

you forgot to add "in bed"...see how much better it sounds with those two little words added at the end?

'What has this day brought me, and what have I given it?'...IN BED.

18 October, 2006 20:01  
Blogger bbobb said...

Yeah, adding in bed does make them funnier, but they're still not fortunes.

bbobb
(still feeling curmudgeonly about fortune cookies)

19 October, 2006 06:54  

Post a Comment

<< Home